[freetds] IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS HELL

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Sat May 10 13:49:13 EDT 2008

Federico Alves wrote:
> I had a horrible two days where my life was upside down because one
> machine was using SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS ON

	:-(

> I checked the code and it seems that that is
> chosen by the application. Please let me know if the source code is of
> my app, open source, is responsible for this or some general setting
> that I forgot to change.

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Read up on, and meditate on, the
T-SQL SET command.

Connection properties -- e.g. IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS, QUOTED_IDENTIFIER --
have defaults controlled by:

*  the server,
*  the database,
*  whether or not the "I'm and ODBC application" bit is set in the login
packet,
*  function calls made by the application,
*  SET commands embedded in the SQL.

Truly woolly.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn someone somewhere set ANSI_DEFAULTS on.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa259196(SQL.80).aspx

HTH.