[freetds] Problems with isql

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Sat May 10 13:16:18 EDT 2008

Hi Igor,

> I'm trying with CVS version and now the IP address is accepted fine..
> but doesn't connect :-(

There are two things wrong here, one of which I can explain.

> Compile-time settings (established with the "configure" script)
>                             Version: freetds v0.83.dev.20080509
>              freetds.conf directory: /usr/local/etc
>      MS db-lib source compatibility: no
>         Sybase binary compatibility: no
>                       Thread safety: yes
>                       iconv library: no
>                         TDS version: 5.0

TDS 5.0 won't work with a Microsoft server.  When you use tsql without
freetds.conf -- using the -H & -p options -- you have to set your TDS
version via the TDSVER environment variable:

	$ TDSVER=7.0 tsql -H 192.168.1.21 -U $DBUSER -P $DBPASS

would work if your server used the default port.  It doesn't, so you need:

	$ TDSVER=7.0 tsql -H 192.168.1.21 -p 1401 \
			  -U $DBUSER -P $DBPASS

> [root at bsd ~/free/freetds/src/apps]# TDSDUMP=dump ./osql -S LekkusLOJA
> -U $DBUSER -P $DBPASS
> found this section:
> 	[LekkusLOJA]
> 	Description = Lekkus LOJA
> 	Driver = FreeTDS
> 	Trace = No
> 	Server = 192.168.1.21
> 	Port = 1401
> 	TDS_version = 8.0
> 	Database = Lekkus
>                            DSN:	LekkusLOJA
>                         Driver:	/usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
>              Server's hostname:	bzbraziline
>                        Address:	192.168.1.21

Looks fine.  Unfortunately, osql is not testing something it should.  :-(

You didn't test with CVS HEAD, btw.  See the log:

> util.c:292:Starting log file for FreeTDS 0.65.dev.20061107

The bad news is in the TDSDUMP log:

> login.c:226:IP address pointer is empty
> login.c:228:Server SYBASE not found!

Bah!  Usually I can spot these things.  Somehow, even though the
configuration looks fine to me, the ODBC driver is not providing a proper
ip address to connect to.

Let's pull out all the stops.  TDSDUMPCONFIG should tell us where we're
going wrong:

	$ TDSDUMPCONFIG=dump osql -S LekkusLOJA -U $DBUSER -P $DBPASS

and post the contents of dump, please.