[freetds] ODBC.ini parameter in FreeTDS

Sebastien FLAESCH sf at 4js.com
Sat May 3 02:51:31 EDT 2008

James K. Lowden wrote:
> Rajesh Akolu wrote:
>> We are using FreeTDS 0.64 (TDS version 8.0) and unixODBC 2.2.12 on RH
>> Linux 3.4.6 and connecting to Microsoft SQL Server 2000 from Linux.
>> We are looking for parameters which can increase the performance
>
> You're looking for magic pixie dust to "increase performance" while
> providing no evidence for the notion that performance can be increased.
> You seem to assume it can be, but why?  In a database application,
> bottlenecks don't show up in the network layer until the server and client
> are running at top speed.
>
> You can't manage what you don't measure.  Instead of asking the Internet
> for random tuning suggestions, monitor your application and discover where
> the delays are.  Then address yourself to those areas.  You'll have the
> satisfaction of learning something and doing the job right.  And,
> possibly, of increasing performance.
>
> --jkl

Rajesh,

With the native MDAC and SNAC drivers of SQL Server, we got very good
performance improvements by using array fetch (SQL_ATTR_ROW_ARRAY_SIZE).

I am not quite sure if using array fetch makes a difference with FreeTDS,
but so far we use it as it was really efficient with the native drivers.

Note that we are not using the default cursor: we use server-side cursors.

Cheers,
Seb