[freetds] ODBC.ini parameter in FreeTDS

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Fri May 2 10:07:51 EDT 2008

Rajesh Akolu wrote:

> We are using FreeTDS 0.64 (TDS version 8.0) and unixODBC 2.2.12 on RH
> Linux 3.4.6 and connecting to Microsoft SQL Server 2000 from Linux.
> We are looking for parameters which can increase the performance

You're looking for magic pixie dust to "increase performance" while
providing no evidence for the notion that performance can be increased.
You seem to assume it can be, but why?  In a database application,
bottlenecks don't show up in the network layer until the server and client
are running at top speed.

You can't manage what you don't measure.  Instead of asking the Internet
for random tuning suggestions, monitor your application and discover where
the delays are.  Then address yourself to those areas.  You'll have the
satisfaction of learning something and doing the job right.  And,
possibly, of increasing performance.