[freetds] Login timeout on dblib

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Fri May 2 09:57:40 EDT 2008

Vincent Cunniffe wrote:
> I'm trying to get FreeTDS (in the form of sybdb linked to a C++ binary)
> working. I've got it connecting, executing queries, etc., but am having
> problems with timeouts.
> This is freetds-0.64, with a vanilla configure/make/install on CentOS
> 4.6, linked against a C++ binary compiled with gcc 3.4.3. It's
> connecting to a remote MS SQL server.

Run, do not walk, to the 0.82 release candidate.

If you look at the ChangeLog files and ML archives, you'll see quite a bit
of work on timeout logic in the beginning of 2007.  The db-lib library
never implemented timeouts correctly before that.  It does now.

Once you've updated, make sure you review *very* carefully the db-lib
dberrhandle() documentation.  It's not the easiest functionality in the
world to get right.

If you have further problems, just holler.