[freetds] unixodbc and character identifier limits?

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Thu Apr 3 12:00:20 EDT 2008

Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:33 AM, James K. Lowden <jklowden at freetds.org>
> wrote:
> > Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> >  > I came across a 30 character
> >  >  identifier limit. In results I wasn't able to query my records
> >  >  unless
> >  > I have changed the identifier name to something under 30 char.
> >
> >  It sounds like you're using TDS 4.2 or a Sybase server.
>
> lucas at debianlaptop:~$ apt-cache policy tdsodbc
> tdsodbc:
>   Installed: 0.63-3.2
>
> and I am using sqlserver 2000.

Yes.  I wasn't referring to the FreeTDS release.  I was referring to the
version of the TDS protocol you're using.  It's controlled by the
configure script, the "tds version" setting in freetds.conf and the TDSVER
environment variable (later overriding earlier).  See the UG for details.

You can determine the version used by a session by looking at a TDSDUMP
log.  0.63 is very old, so I don't remember anymore whether the log
announces the protocol version.  But if you look at the messages and
metadata returned by a server, you'll see they're encoded one of two ways:

1.  ASCII, TDS 4.2
2.  16-bit UCS-2 Unicode, TDS 7.0+

HTH.