[freetds] Long column names and PHP

Frank M. Kromann frank at kromann.info
Thu Sep 28 22:19:04 EDT 2006

Just checked PHP5.2 sources and there is no references to the TDS version
used.

All it displays is:

MSSQL Support => enabled
Active Persistent Links => 0
Active Links => 0
Library version => FreeTDS

I think it would be possible to show the default version, but as the
version can be specified in freetds.conf (per connection) it does not make
much sense to display it.

- Frank

> Thomas, Christopher (LLU) wrote:
> > You are right that I was connecting using 4.2. I
> > couldn't find the version from the TDSDUMP. But I checked the output
> > from phpinfo() and it said 7.0, but I guess the freetds.conf file
> > overrides whatever PHP has selected. After I changed the version
inside
> > freetds.conf to 8.0, everything worked perfectly. Funny thing is
> > phpinfo() still reports 7.0.
>
> I don't know what PHP is doing.  Using a current snapshot and assuming
> you're using the mssql extension, you can see in the TDSDUMP log the
order
> of db-lib calls.  And PHP could learn the TDS version only from the
db-lib
> function dbtds().  Anything else is just guesswork.  (If you're using
> ODBC, then I don't know.)
>
> We used to include the TDS version at the top of the log when
connecting.
> I noticed it got dropped some time ago.  That was probably inadvertent,
> because I don't remember any discussion and can't see any advantage.
I'll