[freetds] ODBC Connection problem

shiv kumar shivblore2000 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 11:02:35 EDT 2006

Thanks James,
The TDSERVER env variable was not set, this is the problem.

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:02:24 -0400
From: "Lowden, James K" <james.k.lowden at alliancebernstein.com>
Subject: Re: [freetds] ODBC Connection problem
To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds at lists.ibiblio.org>

                            ^^^^^^^^^
       The '*' makes it unclear what the real name of the file is, and
       the relative path makes it unclear where it is.

> [SASA]
> Driver          = FreeTDS
                   ^^^^^^^  No, should be the .so e.g.:
 Driver          = /export/home/ask/TDS/lib/libtdsodbc.so

> Description             = Test Sybase Database with FreeTDS
> Trace           = No
> Server          = 172.25.8.135
> Port            = 4100
> TDS Version      = 5.0
    ^ should be TDS_Version, note underscore.

> Database                 = shiv_1
>
> [FreeTDS]
> Description             = v0.63 with protocol v8.0
> Driver          = /export/home/ask/TDS/lib/libtdsodbc.so
> UsageCount              = 1

A TDSDUMP log would show any authentication problems.  If none is
created, it's because the driver wasn't called, which normally means
odbc.ini isn't set up correctly.  You can also verify your login with
tsql.

> I have installed the FreeTDS in non roort directory i.e., not in
> /usr/local directory. Will this is a problem?

No.  The software doesn't care where it is or who owns it.  Normal
installation sets permissions correctly.

HTH.