[freetds] ODBC Connection problem

Lowden, James K james.k.lowden at alliancebernstein.com
Thu Sep 21 10:02:24 EDT 2006

                             ^^^^^^^^^
	The '*' makes it unclear what the real name of the file is, and
	the relative path makes it unclear where it is.

> [SASA]
> Driver          = FreeTDS
                    ^^^^^^^  No, should be the .so e.g.:
  Driver          = /export/home/ask/TDS/lib/libtdsodbc.so

> Description             = Test Sybase Database with FreeTDS
> Trace           = No
> Server          = 172.25.8.135
> Port            = 4100
> TDS Version      = 5.0
     ^ should be TDS_Version, note underscore.

> Database                 = shiv_1
>
> [FreeTDS]
> Description             = v0.63 with protocol v8.0
> Driver          = /export/home/ask/TDS/lib/libtdsodbc.so
> UsageCount              = 1

A TDSDUMP log would show any authentication problems.  If none is
created, it's because the driver wasn't called, which normally means
odbc.ini isn't set up correctly.  You can also verify your login with
tsql.

> I have installed the FreeTDS in non roort directory i.e., not in
> /usr/local directory. Will this is a problem?

No.  The software doesn't care where it is or who owns it.  Normal
installation sets permissions correctly.

HTH.

The information contained in this transmission may be privileged and
confidential and is intended only for the use of the person(s) named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review, dissemination,
distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message. Please note that we do not accept
account orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible
for carrying out such orders and/or instructions.  If you, as the intended recipient
of this message, the purpose of which is to inform and update our clients, prospects
and consultants of developments relating to our services and products, would not
like to receive further e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the
sender indicating your wishes.  In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York,
NY 10105.