[freetds] severely lost with Perl/FreeTDS/ODBC/MSSQL

Robert Dobbs bobisdobbs at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 6 13:25:52 EDT 2006

>Robert Dobbs wrote:
> > The docs have
> > instructions on how to set up JDBC for Sybase ODBC
> > connections, but they don't give an example for doing
> > the same thing with an MS-SQL server.
>
>Let's try it the other way around.  You have a working freetds.conf, yes?
>Show us the appropriate entry, your odbc.ini, and your connection string.
>Also, I'd like to know what kind of an ODBC setup you want (DSN-less,
>-only, combined).

I figured it out yesterday from an old post.  Thanks to Christian Jung on
2003-11-26.

>We try very hard to make the documentation clear, so I'm always interested
>to learn where someone goes astray.

For me it was a lot of in-depth discussion of how the system works but a
lack of specific examples on how to set it up if I was in a hurry facing a
deadline.

For posterity, here are example entries from the files I needed to get
FreeTDS/ODBC/MS SQL Server 200* working.

;; /etc/odbc.ini or equiv
[mydb]
Driver      = FreeTDS
Description = my mssql db
Trace       = No
Servername  = mydb_freetdsconf_entry
Database    = mydatabase

;; /etc/odbcinst.ini or equiv
[FreeTDS]
Driver		= /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsodbc.so
Setup		= /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsS.so

;; /etc/freetds/freetds.conf or equiv
; ... defaults ...
[mydb_freetdsconf_entry]
   host = myserver.mydomain.foo
   port = 1433
   tds version = 8.0

> > I had things set up using FreeTDS with DBD::Sybase to
> > connect to MSSQL, and it even worked with DBIx::Class
> > to create rows... then golly gee, when it tried to
> > update, it uses placeholders, so I got a segfault:
> > "ct_send(CS_DESCRIBE_INPUT) returned 0 at
> > /usr/lib/perl5/DBD/Sybase.pm line 124."
>
>Yep, sorry.  That's documented not to work.  For Microsoft servers, we'd
>need SQL parser.

If it doesn't work for routine DBI operations like ? placeholders, why is it
documented at all, other than to say "don't use it"?

Thanks.

Mark