[freetds] freetds 0.6.4 breaks compatibility

entropy at freetds.org entropy at freetds.org
Tue Aug 15 19:22:36 EDT 2006

Norbert Sendetzky wrote:

> After upgrading from freetds 0.6.3 to 0.6.4 applications using libsybdb and
> compiled against 0.6.3 stopped working. The problem is that this release have
> broken binary compatibility by replacing the dbopen() function by a macro and
> therefore dbopen isn't available any more in the library.
>
> I consider this a serious issue and would like to suggest using one line
> functions calling the real function instead of using #defines.

You're mistaken, nothing changed in 0.64 (not 0.6.4) that would affect
this.  The "missing" dbopen is intentional, to avoid a collision with
the function of the same name in Berkeley DB.

Apparently your FreeTDS 0.63 (not 0.6.3) was configured using the
--enable-sybase-compat flag.  If you want 0.64 to have the dbopen
symbol, then you just need to configure it the same way.

--
Cheers,
entropy