[freetds] Setting for returned column size in FreeTDS?

Ken Tozier kentozier at comcast.net
Tue Aug 15 01:03:21 EDT 2006

On Aug 15, 2006, at 12:25 AM, James K. Lowden wrote:
> "tsql -C" tells you the compiled-in default.  Usually that's
> overridden by
> something in freetds.conf.  The TDSVER environment variable overrides
> those.  You can check with the TDSDUMP variable; the top of the log
> shows
> the protocol version.

I'd like to keep this as easy as possible for future maintainers. If
I never explicitly set the TDSVER environment variable, that means it
doesn't exist, correct? The build stage wouldn't have created this
variable for me, right? So if I understand correctly, the next place
it looks is the .conf file and lastly the compiled in version, correct?

When I ran tsql -C I got this:

Compile-time settings (established with the "configure" script):
                            Version: freetds v0.63
     MS db-lib source compatibility: no
        Sybase binary compatibility: unknown
                      Thread safety: yes
                      iconv library: yes
                        TDS version: 5.0
                              iODBC: yes
                           unixodbc: no

And the .conf file is set up as follows

# The client connecting to the pool server will use this to find its
# listening socket.  This entry assumes that the client is on the same
# system as the pool server.
[mypool]
	host = 127.0.0.1
	port = 5000
	tds version = 4.2

# A typical Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 configuration
;[MyServer70]
;	host = ntmachine.domain.com
;	port = 1433
;	tds version = 7.0

# A typical Microsoft SQL Server 2000 configuration
;[MyServer2k]
;	host = ntmachine.domain.com
;	port = 1433
;	tds version = 8.0

# A typical Microsoft SQL Server 6.x configuration
;[MyServer65]
;	host = ntmachine.domain.com
;	port = 1433
;	tds version = 4.2

This is my home development setup though so I'll have to check the
real thing tomorrow. Basically, for SQL 2003 I'll want to uncomment

# A typical Microsoft SQL Server 2000 configuration
;[MyServer2k]
;	host = ntmachine.domain.com
;	port = 1433
;	tds version = 8.0

and that should fix the 255 char limit problem?

Thanks
Ken