[freetds] Setting for returned column size in FreeTDS?

James K. Lowden jklowden at freetds.org
Mon Aug 14 23:48:18 EDT 2006

Ken Tozier wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2006, at 9:01 PM, James K. Lowden wrote:
>
> > Ken Tozier wrote:
> >> I'm having this puzzling problem where the largest size column data I
> >> can get back is 255 characters regardless of how much the column
> >> field might contain.
> >
> > Hmm.  You wouldn't be using TDS 4.2, would you?
>
> Nope. I'm using 6.3

No you're not!

I think you might be refering to the version of FreeTDS, the 0.63 release.
 I'm talking about the TDS protocol version, which would be 4.2, 5.0, 7.0,
or 8.0.

TDS 4.2 doesn't support varchars wider than 255 characters.  That's
mentioned in the UG in the section that discusses TDS versions.