[freetds] There was a problem connecting to the server on FreeTDS .64

Pat Hacker pat at picoworks.com
Wed Aug 2 17:02:03 EDT 2006

> I installed FreeTDS and it didn't give me any errors on
> installation, so I guess it installed right.  When I try to tsql -S
> JDBC -U guest -P sybase it gives me

Matt
Make sure you can ping the servers ip address.
	$ ping  <ip address>
If that works then try to connect to the host using a IP address
	$ tsql -H <ip address> -p <port#> -U guest -P sybase
If this works and what you tried did not then the problem is in your
freetds.conf

presumably your freetds.conf looks something like the following:
[JDBC]
	host = 192.168.0.16
	port = 1433
	tds version = 8.0
Obviously you need to make sure the values match your situation.
The other alternative is you don't have a freetds.conf or it's in the
wrong place.
Pat