[freetds] basic install OK but can't get PHP to work

Steve Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Thu Jul 27 14:28:26 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 01:16:55PM -0500, kenn wrote:
> > PHP is using FreeTDS's ODBC driver and the Driver Manager, unixODBC,
> > can't find the server.  It looks like your odbc.ini isn't correct.  If
> > so, isql won't work either.

> > In case it matters, you might not need ODBC.  There is a PHP mssql
> > extension that works with FreeTDS and does not use ODBC.  (It uses
> > db-lib.)

> I actually don't seem to have an odbc.ini ... I somehow got the idea
> that it wasn't essential, so I probably misread something -- will check.

> I don't know that I need ODBC -- I just want to achieve read-only access
> to an existing mssql database ...

> Two questions in that regard:  1. Do you know what packages I would need
> to install in order to use db-lib -- I can't seem to find a Debian
> package that includes the right stuff.

> 2.  In looking around for it, I did find php4-sybase ... Can that be
> used to achieve my goal?  Or am I looking at this incorrectly?

Yes, php4-sybase is the name of the Debian package that provides native
(i.e., non-ODBC) support for connecting to Sybase and MSSQL servers.  It
happens to use CTlib rather than db-lib, fwiw, though that could always be
changed if there were ae demonstrable advantage to packaging the db-lib
extension in its place.

Cheers,
vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/