[freetds] Could you help me???

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT Frediano.Ziglio at vodafone.com
Tue Jul 25 04:29:29 EDT 2006

> Hello to everybody!!!:
>
> My name is Mario Martinez, I'm Mexican and I have a little
> problem!!!:-(
> maybe you can help me!!!
> I installed freetds, I connect LINUX and PHP  with MSSQL
> 2000, Everything is
> OK but when I use a Query in PHP, I have this mistake (Warning)
>
> *Warning*: mssql_query()
> [function.mssql-query<http://localhost/function.mssql-query>]:
> WARNING! Some character(s) could not be converted into
> client's character
> set. Unconverted bytes were changed to question marks ('?').
> (severity 16)
> in */var/www/html/consulta.php* on line *7*
>

> Do you know why send me this message?
>
> Thanks!!!!!
>
> EOF

Well, this is a warning, not an error. FreeTDS is converting server
charset to client charset and it found that some characters can be
converted so it replace those characters with question marks. You should
use a client charset that support your server encoding. Refer to
userguide to change client charset. Usually mssql is configured to use
windows-1252 (CP1252 should work with iconv). Naturally your client
should use this encoding. You are using PHP so you should change html
page to use the same encoding.