[freetds] Re: tsql & libtds status

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT Frediano.Ziglio at vodafone.com
Tue Apr 5 09:41:49 EDT 2005

> ,freetds at lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
> > Ack.  Don't use libtds directly, it is a support layer for
> the higher
> > level interfaces, and changes from release to release.  Please use
> > either dblib, ctlib, or ODBC.  dblib is easiest from a setup &coding
> > perspective.  You can look at the unittest programs for examples or
> > look on the net, they are plentiful.
> >
> > Jim et al., let's put a big ass warning in tsql.c not to
> use libtds, eh?
>
> I've seen mixed opinions here before on whether tsql is
> production-ready, or not.

Well... yes and not. tsql is production-quality but not
production-designed :)
tsql was intended as a test exercise.. However many people added feature
and many others (like you) use tsql in production.

> I run freetds on OpenVMS, and use only tsql & libtds to query
> a MS SQL db.
> Mostly I use a home-grown variant of tsql (that does csv
> output, like ms
> query analyser), but I also embedded code from there into one or two
> applications that need to do ms sql db queries.

If you want to send a patch for csv we can incorporate in main distro.

> The OpenVMS box doesn't have a database or database client
> installed on
> it, as such, just its native file system. Installing & running one of
> the higher level interfaces just to use freetds seems like
> unnecessary work.

However libTDS keep changing as we develop and it can be hard to update
programs depending on it.

> It's been running reliably in our production environment for
> over a year
> now - in fact it's the most reliable part of our fancy new MS
> solution ;)

Thanks!

bye