[freetds] Unable to connect to Data Source using iodbctest

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Wed Sep 22 11:09:45 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee, Gary
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 6:09 PM

> Problem in a nutshell:  tslq works, iodbctest doesn't.
> [ODBC Data Sources]
> Canada = Foreign Symbol Database
>
> [Canada]
> Driver          = /usr/local/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so
> Description     = FREETDS / odbc test db
> Host            = qa1
> Port            = 1433
> ServerType      = SQL Server 2000
> FetchBufferSize = 99
> UserName        = gary
> Password        = lucky
> Database        = IMM2
> ServerOptions   =
> ConnectOptions  =
> Options         =
> ReadOnly        = no
>
> [Default]
> Driver          = /usr/local/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so
>

> Questions:
>
> 1. Most imortantly:  Why doesn't it connect using the iodbctest
> program?  I assume it's an odbc.ini  problem, since tsql works.

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/odbcconnattr.htm

You didn't indicate a SERVER.  Most of the attributes listed in the
above entry are meaningless to the FreeTDS ODBC driver.

> 2. Where would I find descriptions of error codes, like SQLSTATE=8001

For all intents and purposes, Microsoft defines the ODBC standard.  The
documentation is included in their SDK, available online.

> 3. Why are the UID/PWD command line arguments needed when Username and

> Password are in already the odbc.ini file?

See Table 4-1 again.  The last column indicates whether or not the
attribute is read from odbc.ini.  You'll note that UID & PWD are listed
as "no", meaning the driver will accept those attributes only as part of
the connect string.  In the odbc.ini file, they are just line noise.