[freetds] Problems with large image transfers.

David Lambert dlambert at lambsys.com
Tue Sep 21 16:33:50 EDT 2004

Lowden, James K wrote:

>Oh, boy.  You found a doozie.
>
>It's interesting that I assumed you meant bcp *in*.  I've uploaded image
>data, but never downloaded it.  Neither, I bet, has anyone else, because
>it looks to me like the code's broken.

Originally, I WAS trying to UPLOAD data, but never got it to work with
freebcp. I eventually managed to get the data uploaded using a crude
script with bsqldb, but then the data file was in '0xnnnn' nibbles which
meant > 100% overhead. Anyway, I then tried to used freebcp to DOWNLOAD
the images, hoping that I could get some clue as how to UPLOAD images in
byte form. Then came the bug =-O . I am conversant with MySQL but very
much a newbie to freeTDS/MSSQL/SYBASE, so please excuse the random
thrashing of your code ;-)

>This will take some work, and it may be a few weeks before I can get to
>it, thanks to the phone company.  If you want to trace through more
>carefully, find out what dbconvert() is called with, returns, and what
>fwrite is being called with, I might be able to suggest a patch.

No hurry. Now that I know that the download is broken, it does not
matter so much. I just need to figure out how to efficiently upload
images. Could you point me to some documentation e.g. a HOWTO aimed at
my level of (in)expertise?

Regards,

Dave.