[freetds] Problems with large image transfers.

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Tue Sep 21 11:22:23 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: David Lambert
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 10:48 PM

I am having problems using freebcp when transferring large images. If I
use character format the program exits with a segmentation fault. Using
the following format statement, I get:

Msg 20049, Level 4
Data-conversion resulted in overflow.

The format file is:

6.0
1
1 SYBIMAGE 0 100000    "\t"    5    snap_data

Using gdb on freebcp. The dbconvert routine is entered as follows:

dbconvert (dbproc=0x9c881e8, srctype=34, src=0x9cbe698 "ÿØÿà", srclen=4096,
  desttype=34, dest=0x9caa998 "", destlen=255) at dblib.c:1673

This seems to indicate that the program thinks that the destination
length  (255?) is shorter than the source length (4096).
-----END-----

Can you really use tab-delimited image data?  The image is guaranteed never to include 0x9?

Assuming that's OK, the only way I can see that the destlen would be 255 is if the server says so.  If the file data are longer than 4096, there's a "special hack" in _bcp_read_hostfile that sets the destlen to the larger size. Else the server's column size is used.  Since you're looking at things with gdb already, trace through _bcp_read_hostfile to see for yourself.  ;-)

Things to double check:

1.  The CREATE statement for the table.
2.  The TDS protocol version.
3.  The version of FreeTDS.

Note that dbconvert() is converting type 34 to 34 i.e., no conversion.  The "Data-conversion resulted in overflow" message comes straight from dbconvert() when it can't copy the source to the destination because the destlen is too small.

BTW, freebcp should *never* segfault, so you found a bug.  A backtrace would be very helpful.

There's more we can do, but let's get our ducks in a row first and see where we are.

Regards,