[freetds] Problem compiling on AIX 4.3.3.0

WATTS, RANDY (SBCSI) ww1232 at sbc.com
Mon Sep 20 19:56:11 EDT 2004

I was able to get things working by switching to static per Chris' suggestion.
That looked like the path of least resistance.

Thanks to all of you , James, Chris & Martin for your guidance and suggestions.

Now it's on to getting unixODBC working and building with PHP....

For Martin. I know you can download trial versions of the VisualAge compiler
from the IBM website. I believe they are 30 day evals.
The current release is 7.0 I think. The version we have 5.0 is an old one
like '99 or '00 vintage.

I think the loadmap and noquiet options are the wrong path to chase.  loadmap gives you tie list of which modules resolved which symbols where.  and noquiet will merely tell you which objects wanted the missing symbols and a lot of other stuff.  -b is the magic prefix on the C compiler for a lot of the binder options.  bind/binder is the name the AIX people want to use for ld but couldn't without us unix people thinking they were nuts.  I wish I still had access to a 4.3.3 system from the days when I used freetds there.  I'm sure I coudl clean this up in a jiffy.  switching to static however is the easiest solution.

"Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK at bernstein.com> wrote:> From: WATTS, RANDY (SBCSI)
> Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 1:38 PM
>
> Here is the output of nm on tds/.libs/libtds.so.3 no .0 suffix on this
> machine And this is the complete output for this lib
> f -
> crt0main.s f -
> end B 536871228
> p_xargc B 536871212 4
> p_xargv B 536871216 4
> p_xrc B 536871224 4
> p_xrcfg B 536871220 4

OK, that tells us your linker -- the thing that built this shared library -- isn't exporting *any* FreeTDS functions. That's why you're getting undefined syymbol errors.

> Here is what I found in tds/.libs/libtds_objects.a
>
> nm ./libtds_objects.a | grep tds_alloc_login
> §tds_alloc_login:F167 - 108
> .tds_alloc_login T 3264 288
> tds_alloc_login D 15852 12
> tds_alloc_login d 15676 4

That means '.tds_alloc_login' is in the static library; the 'T' is the clue. The error message said '.tds_alloc_login' (with the leading dot) was undefined, and the static library at any rate has that exact symbol, so you have a chance.

I think I'd reconfigure with --disable-shared, and see if tsql links.

> Forgive my naiveté but where would I add the "-bloadmap or -bnoquiet"
> options so that they get run at the proper place for
>
> cc -g -o .libs/tsql tsql.o -lcurses -L../tds/.libs -ltds -liconv -Wl,-blibpath:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/lib

I don't know. The suggestion came from ld(1), so they're linker options. Check your cc man page for how to pass linker options on the cc command line. On gcc, for example, it would be "-Xlinker bloadmap". If you want my guess, it'd be:

cc -g -o .libs/tsql tsql.o -lcurses \
-L../tds/.libs -ltds -liconv \
-Wl,-blibpath:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/lib \
-Wl,-bloadmap,-bnoquiet

Linker problems are always a royal pain, partly because linkers do a lot of magical stuff. The way out is always the same: you want to read your linker manual very carefully, however tedious and obsure it may be. What you really want is the option to export symbols to shared libraries, but you might settle, say, for the option that tells the linker to prefer static libs to shared ones.

Here's a hack: add "-llibtds.a" to the above command. That will bring in the FreeTDS symbols. tsql should then work.

Chris Eleveld mentions the libtool version. The releases of FreeTDS 0.62.3 and prior were generated with libtool 1.4a. FreeTDS 0.62.4 and current snapshots use a later version, 1.5.2 IIRC. You might want to try an earlier/later release, just to see. Also, I found http://www.nasi.com/pdfs/runninglinuxappsonaix.pdf. Page 82 is interesting.

> Do they need to be added somewhere in libtool and then do a configure or in
> one of the Makefiles?

First just enter the command at the prompt, until you get the right incantation. Then you can edit src/apps/Makefile. Linker flags for tsql can be added thus:

tsql_LDFLAGS = -bloadmap -bnoquiet

approximately. To get ./configure to build the Makefile with the correct linker flags in place, you can set the LDFLAGS environment variable (or similar, according to your linker docs.)

Regards,

Making all in apps
source='tsql.c' object='tsql.o' libtool=no depfile='.deps/tsql.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/tsql.TPo' depmode=aix /bi n/sh ../../depcomp cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../include
-I../../include -D_FREETDS_LIBRARY_SOURCE -DDEBUG=1 -
g -c `test -f 'tsql.c' || echo './'`tsql.c
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link cc -g -o tsql tsql.o
-lcurses ../tds/libtds.la
mkdir .libs
cc -g -o .libs/tsql tsql.o -lcurses -L../tds/.libs -ltds -liconv -Wl,-blibpath:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/lib
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .tds_alloc_login
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .tds_alloc_context
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .tds_alloc_socket
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more information.

Hi Randy,

Looks like progress, but there's still some disagreement between the library symbol list and what the compiler wants the linker to import. What does "nm libtds.so.3.0 |grep tds_alloc_login" tell you? Is there a ".tds_alloc_login", or is it perhaps missing that leading dot? Are "-bloadmap or -bnoquiet" of any use?

If you, as the intended recipient of this message, the purpose of which is to inform and update our clients, prospects and consultants of developments relating to our services and products, would not like to receive further e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the sender indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10105.