[freetds] Problem compiling on AIX 4.3.3.0

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Mon Sep 20 10:16:31 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: WATTS, RANDY (SBCSI)
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 6:31 PM

Making all in apps
        source='tsql.c' object='tsql.o' libtool=no
depfile='.deps/tsql.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/tsql.TPo'  depmode=aix /bi
n/sh ../../depcomp  cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../include
-I../../include    -D_FREETDS_LIBRARY_SOURCE -DDEBUG=1  -
g -c `test -f 'tsql.c' || echo './'`tsql.c
        /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link cc  -g    -o tsql  tsql.o
-lcurses  ../tds/libtds.la
mkdir .libs
cc -g -o .libs/tsql tsql.o  -lcurses -L../tds/.libs -ltds -liconv
-Wl,-blibpath:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/lib
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .tds_alloc_login
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .tds_alloc_context
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .tds_alloc_socket
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
information.
----- END -----

Hi Randy,

Looks like progress, but there's still some disagreement between the
library symbol list and what the compiler wants the linker to import.
What does "nm libtds.so.3.0 |grep tds_alloc_login" tell you?  Is there a
".tds_alloc_login", or is it perhaps missing that leading dot?  Are
"-bloadmap or -bnoquiet" of any use?

All this option twiddling is just what libtool was invented to avoid, of
course.  Once you find the right settings, I'll add it to the
documentation, so maybe the next VisualAge C++ version 5 guy will have
an easier time.  At least until we upgrade our libtool, that is.

HTH.