[freetds] Problem compiling on AIX 4.3.3.0

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Fri Sep 17 12:07:18 EDT 2004

----Original Message-----
From: WATTS, RANDY (SBCSI)
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 8:39 PM

I am unable to compile freeTDS on AIX.
I can get things up and running fine on Solaris and Linux ok  but no go
on AIX. I am a newbie to the AIX environment. Any help would be
appreciated.
freetds-0.62.4
AIX 4.3.3.0
VisualAge C++ compiler version 5

No configure options at all . Just using defaults.
generating symbol list for `libtds.la'
/usr/bin/nm -B -BCpg   ./.libs/libtds_objects.a
../replacements/.libs/libreplacements.a | awk '{ if ((($2 == "T") || ($2
== "D") || ($2 == "B")) && (substr($3,1,1) != ".")) { print $3 } }' |
sort -u > .libs/libtds.expcc -Wl,-bM:SRE -o .libs/libtds.so.3    -liconv
-lc
-Wl,-bE:.libs/libtds.exp -Wl,-bnoentry ${wl}-berok
ld: 0711-244 ERROR: No csects or exported symbols have been saved.
----End Original Message-----

I've never used AIX either, so I can't help much, except to send you
back the man pages for ld(1) and nm(1).  It looks like this line is not
doing what you want:

/usr/bin/nm -B -BCpg   \
	./.libs/libtds_objects.a \
	../replacements/.libs/libreplacements.a \
	| awk '{    if ((($2 == "T") \
			|| ($2 == "D") \
			|| ($2 == "B")) \
			&& (substr($3,1,1) != ".")) \
		{ print $3 } }' \
	| sort -u \
	> .libs/libtds.exp

I'd look at libtds.exp (is it empty?), and try adjusting either the awk
filter or the nm(1) options.  I would imagine it should include lines
something like these:

$ nm .libs/libtds_objects.a |grep T | awk '{ print $3 }' |head

tds_alloc_bcp_column_data
tds_alloc_client_sqlstate
tds_alloc_compute_results
tds_alloc_compute_row