[freetds] SOT: DBI::ODBC datetime format for update

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at tsmg.us
Wed Sep 15 14:03:26 EDT 2004

Sorry for the off topic post but my web searches have not produced an
answer.  In fact I'm not necessarily looking for an answer but a pointer
(or a  whack from a clue-stick) to where to look or the correct terms to
use for my search.  I have tried all the obvious terms in various
collections and combinations and only found information on how to change
the output of datetime fields.

I'm getting a failure message using DBI::ODBC on a Win2k server
accessing a SQL Server database (different system) via a system dsn.  I
can't figure out what format to use for a datetime field.  I've not had
a problem doing similar operation using Win32::ODBC with a smalldatetime
field.  But when using DBI::ODBC and updating a datatime field I get
errors like this:

DBI Error:DBD::ODBC::st execute failed: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server
Driver] Invalid character value for cast specification (SQL-22018)(DBD:
st_execute/SQLExecute err=-1) at script.pl line 77.

The variable used is set to '09/15/04' but even attempts using '20040915
05:05:05' and variations fail.

This goes away when I remove the code to update the datetime field.

So where should I go or what should I search for?

TIA,
Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson