[freetds] PHP 4 + Freetds 0.60 + SQL Server 2000

Daniel Fazekas fdsubs at axelero.hu
Mon Sep 13 13:54:18 EDT 2004

On Sep 13, 2004, at 18:58, Cédric Dumetz wrote:

> In fact we use a debian SARGE OS with the 0.61 package for freetds.
> I'm not administrator but it seems difficult to updgrade.
> So, I would to know if my problem is a known bug or if it's a
> fonctionnality
> evolution.

Your problem reminds me a bit of the "mssql_query() returns boolean
when stored procedure returns empty result set" discussion around April
1, 2004.

Bill submitted a fix in
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/freetds/2004q2/015797.html
and the patch was applied to 0.63 cvs. Not sure if it ever ended up in
a 0.62.x release.

You're complaining of returning "1" but I suspect what you are getting
is bool(true) as well, which when echoed results in 1. Try
var_dump($rs) instead of echo $rs.

A workaround back then was to use PHP's mssql extension instead of the
sybase extension.

I guess then it's up to you to choose whichever is more suitable in
your situation:
a) upgrade FreeTDS
b) switch PHP extensions
c) add checks in your PHP code