[freetds] Re: Trouble with SqlConnect

Stephen knucerdouw at chyovirton.mailexpire.com
Mon Sep 13 10:20:49 EDT 2004

Daniel,

I installed the freetds package in Mandrake linux, and the only
libraries that got installed were:

libtds.a
libtds.la*
libtdsS.a
libtdsS.la*
libtds.so.2.0*
libtdssrv.a
libtdssrv.la*
libtdssrv.so.1.0*
libtdsS.so.1.0.0*

I also checked the default ODBC installation for PostgreSQL, which looks
like:

[PostgreSQL]
Description             = ODBC for PostgreSQL
Driver          = /usr/lib/libodbcpsql.so.2
Setup           = /usr/lib/libodbcpsqlS.so.1
FileUsage               = 1

The PostgreSQL libraries look like this:

libodbcpsql.a
libodbcpsql.la*
libodbcpsqlS.a
libodbcpsqlS.la*
libodbcpsql.so.1.0.0*
libodbcpsql.so.2.0.0*
libodbcpsqlS.so.1.0.0*

So I deduced that if I map 1-to-1 the files that Mandrake gives for
freetds and postgresql, I would get:

[TDS]
Description             = TDS
Driver          = /usr/lib/libtds.so.2
Setup           = /usr/lib/libtdsS.so.1
FileUsage               = 1

Is this not correct detective work?  Is it possible that the Mandrake
folks renamed the ODBC driver?  Or is it more likely that they just
don't provide it?

-S.