[freetds] Trouble with SqlConnect

Stephen knucerdouw at chyovirton.mailexpire.com
Fri Sep 10 12:33:09 EDT 2004

Greetings,

I have recently installed FreeTDS and unixODBC on my Mandrake 10 box
using the default packages.  Now, I posted this same problem to the
unixODBC support list, and I got nowhere, so I figured you guys might
know more..

Thanks in advance!

-Stephen.

/etc/odbcinst.ini
-----------------
[TDS]
Description             = TDS
Driver          = /usr/lib/libtds.so.2
Setup           = /usr/lib/libtdsS.so.1
FileUsage               = 1

/etc/odbc.ini
-------------
[XBDB]
Description             = XBDB
Driver          = TDS
Servername              = XBDB
Database                = XBDB
UID             = [masked]
PWD             = [masked]
Port            = 1433

/etc/freetds.conf
-----------------
[XBDB]
   host = [masked]
   port = 1433
   tds version = 4.2
   try domain login = yes
   try server login = yes
   nt domain = [masked]

What I tried
------------
- Connecting to XBDB with tsql, everything works great
- Connecting to XBDB with isql:
 > isql -v XBDB [masked] [masked]
[IM004][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on
SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

Contents of sql.log
-------------------
[ODBC][1073][__handles.c][421]
                 Exit:[SQL_SUCCESS]
                         Environment = 0x8050e60
[ODBC][1073][SQLAllocHandle.c][345]
                 Entry:
                         Handle Type = 2
                         Input Handle = 0x8050e60
[ODBC][1073][SQLAllocHandle.c][463]
                 Exit:[SQL_SUCCESS]
                         Output Handle = 0x80515e0
[ODBC][1073][SQLConnect.c][3244]
                 Entry:
                         Connection = 0x80515e0
                         Server Name = [XBDB][length = 5 (SQL_NTS)]
                         User Name = [[masked]][length = 7 (SQL_NTS)]
                         Authentication = [*****][length = 5 (SQL_NTS)]
                 UNICODE Using encoding ASCII 'ISO8859-1' and UNICODE
'UCS-2LE'

[ODBC][1073][SQLConnect.c][1146]Error: IM004
[ODBC][1073][SQLError.c][424]
                 Entry:
                         Connection = 0x80515e0
                         SQLState = 0xbfffeff0
                         Native = 0xbfffefe8
                         Message Text = 0xbffff000
                         Buffer Length = 500
                         Text Len Ptr = 0xbfffefee
[ODBC][1073][SQLError.c][461]
                 Exit:[SQL_SUCCESS]
                         SQLState = IM004
                         Native = 0xbfffefe8 -> 0
                         Message Text = [[unixODBC][Driver
Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed]
[ODBC][1073][SQLError.c][424]
                 Entry:
                         Connection = 0x80515e0
                         SQLState = 0xbfffeff0