[freetds] Japanese character support

Nair, Anup (ODC - Satyam) ANair at Satyam.odc.ml.com
Tue Aug 31 06:26:04 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Has somebody successfully used FreeTDS on Japanese character set.
If so how is it done?
Is there some value for the "client charset" option in the freetds.conf by
which this can be achieved.

TIA,
Anup.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Fazekas [mailto:fdsubs at axelero.hu]
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2004 4:06 AM
To: FreeTDS Development Group
Subject: [freetds] Re: Japanese character support

On Aug 27, 2004, at 10:13, Nair, Anup (ODC - Satyam) wrote:

>> I need to know whether freeTDS library support Japanese charactor code
>> and whether somebody has successfully used it in Japanese environment.

FreeTDS supports any encoding your operating system's iconv library
does, if the SQL server you are using supports it. (See iconv -l)

Make sure you set the TDS version to the highest as supported by your
SQL server version, for example 8.0 for SQL Server 2000. You could
conveniently use utf-8 to cover any language.

See James' excellent documentation at:
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/aboutunicode.htm
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/nonwestern.htm

--