[freetds] Novice Questions

Klecha, John J. JKlecha at seic.com
Mon Aug 30 13:32:19 EDT 2004

Running an AIX 5.1/Sybase 12 system using a customized rexx script to open problem tickets in an incident management system by issuing an "isql" command.  The incident management system sql db server is getting upgraded to sql 2000 from sql 7.0 and the standard "isql" command line interface does not function with sql 2000, forcing me to try an alternate method, i.e. freetds.

Here's the problem... I'm not familiar with GNU based installers.  Though the scripts run through to the end, I can't tell if the configure and make commands actually worked.  Bottom line... I can't execute a "tsql" command.

Questions:

There are some errors in the configure output... how can I tell if they are warnings or show stoppers?
Where do the make/make install scripts log to?
Where does the "tsql" command live?
Anything else to look for besides the "tsql" command to verify successful installation?

I'm not sure if the install was bad or if I need to change some environment variables... I added the variable "FREETDS" pointing to the install location, didn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks for any help.

John