[freetds] slapd-back-sql binding integer as varchar

Brad Midgley bmidgley at xmission.com
Wed Aug 25 17:18:56 EDT 2004

Hey

With a fairly vanilla setup back-sql would fail because the ? in
at_query was being bound as a varchar where it's being used as an int. I
can modify the config to add convert(integer,?) wherever it gets bound
but there is a bug somewhere, right?

Before the hack:

backsql_load_schema_map(): at_query "SELECT
name,sel_expr,from_tbls,join_where,add_proc,delete_proc,param_order,expect_return,sel_expr_u
FROM ldap_attr_mappings WHERE oc_map_id=?"
==>backsql_Prepare()
backsql_Prepare(): driver name="libtdsodbc.so"
<==backsql_Prepare() calling SQLPrepare()
backsql_oc_get_attr_mapping(): executing at_query
     "SELECT
name,sel_expr,from_tbls,join_where,add_proc,delete_proc,param_order,expect_return,sel_expr_u
FROM ldap_attr_mappings WHERE oc_map_id=?"
     for objectClass "inetOrgPerson"
     with param oc_id="1"
backsql_oc_get_attr_mapping(): error executing at_query
     "SELECT
name,sel_expr,from_tbls,join_where,add_proc,delete_proc,param_order,expect_return,sel_expr_u
FROM ldap_attr_mappings WHERE oc_map_id=?"
     for objectClass "inetOrgPerson"
     with param oc_id="1"
Return code: -1
    Native error code: 257
    SQL engine state:  37000
    Message:           [unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Implicit
conversion from datatype 'VARCHAR' to 'NUMERIC' is not allowed.  Use the
CONVERT function to run this query.

after I added the slapd.conf line:

at_query "SELECT
name,sel_expr,from_tbls,join_where,add_proc,delete_proc,param_order,expect_return,sel_expr_u

FROM ldap_attr_mappings WHERE oc_map_id=convert(integer,?)"

Then the query would run and slapd would no longer crash. However the
same kind of error crops up other places where I can't add
the convert() call without modifying the source to openldap:

-- backsql_get_attr_values(): error executing attribute query "SELECT
utahlink..educator.password AS userPassword FROM utahlink..educator
WHERE utahlink..educator.teacher_id=?"
Return code: -1
    Native error code: 257
    SQL engine state:  37000
    Message:           [unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Implicit
conversion from datatype 'VARCHAR' to 'NUMERIC' is not allowed.  Use the
CONVERT function to run this query.

Where do I look to find out why the ? in these queries is binding as a
varchar instead of a ulong?

I'm using freetds 0.62.4 (to sybase 12.0) and openldap-2.2.15. Also
running redhat packages: unixODBC-2.2.8-2.3.0.2,
unixODBC-devel-2.2.8-2.3.0.2

thanks for any tips
--
Brad