[freetds] Re: PHP & FreeTDS

Daniel Fazekas fdsubs at axelero.hu
Tue Aug 24 20:22:14 EDT 2004

On Aug 25, 2004, at 1:09, Walls Rob W Contr 75 CS/SCBS wrote:

> I know this is not a PHP group, but I hoping someone knows what to do
> make this work with PHP without recompiling.

Note that your PHP apparently supports shared extensions, so you could
add support for the MSSQL extension without recompiling the whole
thing, if that sounds better than being stuck with ODBC.

> Warning: SQL error: [unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect
> to data
> source, SQL state S1000 in SQLConnect in /usr/share/php/common.inc on
> line
> 25

I hate giving unrelated and unasked for advice, but be very cautious of
using an extension such as ".inc" for holding php code. That could all
too easily lead to security problems, unless special precaution is
taken to configure Apache not to serve a ".inc" file, or to have it run
through the php interpreter. If such a file ends up in a web-accessible
directory, people could enter the file's address and since that
extension does not normally invoke the php interpreter, the full source
code will be sent to the browser instead.

Now /usr/share/php/ does not sound like a directory anyone would make
accessible through the web, so most probably there's no risk involved
in this case. Sorry if you were aware of this, I just felt it was worth
mentioning. Generally it's better to use extensions like ".inc.php"
instead.

> I'm using this code to connect:
> $connection_string =
> 'DRIVER=TDS;SERVERNAME=db75cs-891-3;UID=$DB_LOGIN;PWD=$DB_PASSWORD;
> DATABASE=
> $DB;';
> $connection = odbc_connect( $connection_string, $DB_LOGIN,
> $DB_PASSWORD);

Would it be unfeasible for your project to move most of the connection
parameters into the separate configuration files? I'm not really
familiar with these jumbo ODBC connection strings. ;)

However, note that since you are setting $connection_string with single
apostrophes, the $variables in the string are not getting expanded and
are kept without modification. That is, it remains UID=$DB_LOGIN, and
won't get changed to UID=whatever_is_in_$DB_LOGIN, which is probably
what you wanted.
You'd have to quote the string with " for that expansion to take place.
This is the big difference between ' and " in php. I can't guarantee
this small change will make it all work, though. :)

The following works for me:

In /usr/local/etc/freetds.conf:

[TheNameSpecifiedInFreetdsConf]
host=this.is.the.real.host.name.or.ip.of.the.server.lan
port=1433
tds version=8.0
client charset = utf-8

In /etc/odbcinst.ini:

[TDS]
Description = FreeTDS
Driver = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so

In /etc/odbc.ini:

[TheOdbcIniDataSourceName]
Driver = TDS
Servername = TheNameSpecifiedInFreetdsConf

And in the PHP code you just initialize your connection as

$conn = odbc_connect('TheOdbcIniDataSourceName', 'username',
'password');

[When using mssql_connect(), you would have to specify
'TheNameSpecifiedInFreetdsConf' as the server name.]

> PHP finds an odbc.ini file in /etc/php.d/ which loads
> /usr/lib/php4/odbc.so

That sounds odd. PHP does not look for or use a file called odbc.ini in
order to load its shared extensions. odbc.so is probably loaded from
your php.ini instead, which is in /etc/php.ini on Red Hat by default.

--
fds