[freetds] FreeTDS 0.63 and OpenOffice

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT Frediano.Ziglio at vodafone.com
Tue Aug 10 07:54:17 EDT 2004

> "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" wrote:
> > I did some (rapid) tests using current 0.63 version and
> OpenOffice 1.1.0
> > (from Fedora Core 1).
> > It display all available tables and I can compose queries
> without any
> > crash (I did it repeately).
>
> Probably we're running things in in different environments.
> Over here I
> didn't succeed in displaying any tablename within OpenOffice.
> I'm currently using OpenOffice-1.1.1, current FreeTDS CVS and
> unixODBC-2.2.3 (distributed with SuSE-8.2) against a Sybase-11.0.3.3
> ESD#6 database on Linux. I'm configuring FreeTDS with these
> parameters:

Tried with
- Linux Fedora Core 1
- mssql2k / sybase 11.9.2 (or 10.9.2 I'm not sure)
- unixODBC 2.2.5

> ./configure --prefix=/opt/freetds --enable-shared --disable-static \
> --enable-sybase-compat --with-unixodbc=/usr/lib/unixODBC \
> --enable-developing --disable-libiconv

I just use

./configure --enable-extra-checks

> .... errrm, should I use FreeTDS 0.63 release instead ?

current CVS it's 0.63. 0.63 is not still a official release...

> I have a little database 'MasTest' which belongs to the owner 'mas' -
> this is the owner's default database. 'mas' logs into the
> database with
> a password 'dummy4' and tries to browse his database tables - which
> succeeds in 'sqsh':

My .freetds.conf (sybase)

[global]
        # TDS protocol version
        tds version = 4.2

;       initial block size = 512

        swap broken dates = no

        swap broken money = no

        # Database server login method, if both server and domain
        # logins are enabled, domain login is tried first if a domain
        # is specified, and if that fails the server login will be used.
        try server login = yes
        try domain login = no

        # The default authentication domain, can be overridden by
        # specifying a username with a domain prefix, e.g.
DOMAIN\username
;       nt domain = WORKGROUP

        # If the server responds with different domain try that one?
        cross domain login = no

        # Whether to write a TDSDUMP file for diagnostic purposes
        # (setting this to /tmp is insecure on a multi-user system)
        dump file = /tmp/freetds.log
;       debug level = 10
        dump file append = yes

        # Command and connection timeouts
;       timeout = 10;
        connect timeout = 10

# This is a Sybase hosted database server, if you are directly on the
# net you can use it to test.
[JDBC]
        host = 192.138.151.39
        port = 4444
        tds version = 5.0

[local]
        host = localhost
        port = 4100
        tds version = 5.0
        text size = 102400
        client charset = UTF-8

my .odbc.ini

[ODBC Data Sources]
local = Test Server

[local]
Driver      =
/home/freddy/cpp/freetds/freetds63/src/odbc/.libs/libtdsodbc.so
Description = Test Server
Trace       = Yes
Database    = tempdb
TraceFile   = /tmp/sql.log
Servername  = local
Port        = 4100
DontDLClose = 1

> gluehbirne: 17:48:24 ~> id
> uid=525(mas) gid=500(buro)
> Gruppen=500(buro),11(tape),14(uucp),41(xok),42(trusted),55(dba
> ),504(vtol),504(vtol),505(cdwrite)
> gluehbirne: 17:48:26 ~> env LANG=german sqsh -SSYBASE
> -U$LOGNAME -b -B -X
> Password:
> [21] SYBASE.MasTest.1> sp__helptable;
>  Table Name              Rows     Res KB Usd KB Rows/KB
> Segment       Cr Date
>  ----------------------- -------- ------ ------ -------
> ------------- -------
>  ARTIKEL                 0        32     4        0.00
> default       16Jul04
>  BERICHT                 0        64     8        0.00
> default       27Apr04
> [...]

Have you tried isql ?

> I am using TDS version 5.0 with FreeTDS.
> Maybe you want to post the steps you undertake to browse your tables,
> maybe it's also woth noting the default character set ?
> I'd be happy to provide additional log files if you think this would
> help,
>
> Martin.

I did these step:
- LANG=C oowriter (just to force english)
- tools -> data sources
- new data source
- name: mao, database type: ODBC, data source url: local
- ODBC tab
- username: test, password required
- tables tab
- inserted my password (test)
- now I can see my tables
- queries tab
- new query button
- add my test table (dblib0014 in this case)
- dragged and dropper * column
- run query button
- I get table content
- close window (menu file)