[freetds] freetds thread safe ?

BALTUS Jean jean.baltus at africamuseum.be
Thu Jul 29 09:23:26 EDT 2004

Hi all,

We are using freetds to connect to a MSQL database from a RedHat 8
machine.

We have also installed unixODBC with thread safetiness.

If we create several processes (through isql or tsql): freetds behaves
correctly.

However when using an external application that uses threads (either the
DataManager of unixODBC or Zope through egenix mxODBCZopeDA ), the
driver crashes and leads to a crash of the external application as well.

Could you please provide me information regarding :

-          To what extend is freetds thread safe ? What are the
requirements (particular c compiler? MS SQL version ? other libraries
dependencies ?)

-          How can we test thread safety of free tds? do you have a unit
test for this ?

-          How can we get more information of what's going on when the
driver crashes (trace, debugging possible ?)

Thanks for your input, we are really clueless here,

-- Jean