[freetds] Help! Problems building freetds 0.62.4 on solaris9 withlibreplacements.la

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Fri Jul 16 16:22:09 EDT 2004

I'm not sure what's going on, but I think you're misinterpreting the message slightly:

> /bin/bash ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2  -L/usr/local/lib -o
> libreplacements.la   iconv.lo asprintf.lo vasprintf.lo ^M

That's the libtool call.  It outputs

> false

with no newline.  Don't know why.  Then make continues with:

> cru .libs/libreplacements.a .libs/iconv.o .libs/asprintf.o
> .libs/vasprintf.o^M

and cru(1) returns an error, probably stemming from the prior anomaly.

> make: *** [libreplacements.la] Error 1^M

You might try:

$ cd src/replacements
$ /bin/bash -x ../../libtool \
	--mode=link gcc  -g -O2  -L/usr/local/lib \
	-olibreplacements.la   \
	iconv.lo asprintf.lo vasprintf.lo

That might make clearer what it is about the libtool script that Solaris 9 dislikes.

Alternatively, unless you need 0.62.4, you could try 0.62.3, which was built with an older libtool that worked with Solaris.  (IIRC it had some minor trouble installing the documentation, but at least it built and installed the libraries.)

I would like to solve the libtool problem for 0.63, though, so if you want to help debug this libtool problem, that would be great.