[freetds] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Beta 1

brian at bruns.com brian at bruns.com
Mon Jul 5 17:51:17 EDT 2004

FreeTDS does not support named pipes.  If you can turn us on to a nice
LGPL DCE/RPC library, maybe that'll change.

For network traces, try out Ethereal (www.ethereal.org) they have a
Windows port.  That will require the data is actually flowing over the
network though, and not on the same machine.

Brian

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 17:09:24 -0400, "Daniel Morgan" wrote:

> How would I do a network trace on Windows XP Pro?
>
> My original question was asking how to connect to the new SQL 2005
> Express Beta.
>
> I didn't know if the TDS protocol needed updating or what.  I knew
you
> guys knew TDS.  Basically, I didn't know enough to ask the right
> question.
>
> Currently:
> - can connect via Query Analyzer that comes with SQL 2000 Developer
> using NT Auth.
> - unable to connect via Enterprise Manager that comes with SQL 2000
> Developer ( I think this is mentioned in the release notes you can't
> do)
> - unable to connect via Mono's SqlClient either way: SQL Auth nor NT
> Auth
> - someone mentioned (Peter Ducan ?) said they can connect via
FreeTDS.
> He didn't say what he did to connect.
>
> I have only been trying to connect on my local machine.  So, I wonder
> what I am doing wrong then.
>
> Does FreeTDS support connecting via named pipes?
>
> Daniel

If
> it's going across networks than it must be named pipes? Or perhaps it
> is
> DCOM?  Would be interesting to get a network trace in that case.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian
>
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:41:41 -0400, "James K. Lowden" wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, brian at bruns.com wrote:
> > > I don't consider this a huge issue, as this is a replacement for
> MSDE
> > > which is more of an Access replacement than something in the SQL
> > > Server line.  They are just trying to leverage SQL Server name,
> > IMNSHO
> >
> > Is that really the case, Brian?  I mean, Access isn't exactly an
> > unknown brand itself, but, more important, it speaks a different
> > dialect of SQL.
> > AIUI (and allowing for some marketing hyperbole) SS2K5E is a
drop-in
> > T-SQL
> > replacement for good ol' SQL Server.  It has stored procedures,
> > triggers,
> > views.  Access has all that?
> >
> > The real question would be, can it be a multi-user database?  Is
> there
> > security and isolation?  Is the whole user/group/role
implementation