[freetds] unixODBC via FreeTDS, PHP and Stored Procedure Help

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Thu Jul 1 15:06:54 EDT 2004

To clarify, the PHP mssql extension uses db-lib, isql uses ODBC, and tsql uses the TDS layer directly.   So, you really can't test the mssql extension with isql; at least, you're using different client libraries when you do.

We now have a db-lib test facility: bsqldb, first included in 0.62.3.  (If you want a man page, though, get a nightly snapshot.)  The attached script works with bsqldb; I'd be curious to know if isql can process it, too.  But: all it's doing is T-SQL.  If you use the -v option, bsqldb will show you that no parameters are returned as such to the client.

In the old days, Microsoft servers did return output parameter data when a stored procedure was called with "execute" in a T-SQL batch.  Lately they don't; the application must use the rpc functions instead.  We have unit test that demonstrates how.

That leaves PHP, which I don't use.  Unless the mssql extension supports the db-lib rpc functions -- unless, that is, you see some explicit support for stored procedures and parameter binding -- you're not going to be able to fetch output parameters.  The workaround is to call a wrapper procedure that selects the output values, creating a normal resultset.

HTH.