[freetds] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Beta 1

James K. Lowden jklowden at schemamania.org
Wed Jun 30 22:41:41 EDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, brian at bruns.com wrote:
> I don't consider this a huge issue, as this is a replacement for MSDE
> which is more of an Access replacement than something in the SQL
> Server line.  They are just trying to leverage SQL Server name, IMNSHO

Is that really the case, Brian?  I mean, Access isn't exactly an unknown
brand itself, but, more important, it speaks a different dialect of SQL.
AIUI (and allowing for some marketing hyperbole) SS2K5E is a drop-in T-SQL
replacement for good ol' SQL Server.  It has stored procedures, triggers,
views.  Access has all that?

The real question would be, can it be a multi-user database?  Is there
security and isolation?  Is the whole user/group/role implementation
there; do tables have owners and permissions that attach to them?

If it's multi-user and merely lacking a remote-access protocol (no pun
intended), then frontending it with our server would be a cool and useful
hack IMO.  OTOH, if it doesn't have those things, nothing we can do will
fix it.