[freetds] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Beta 1

James K. Lowden jklowden at schemamania.org
Wed Jun 30 20:55:24 EDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, danielmorgan at verizon.net> wrote:
> I would like to be able to connect to SQL Server 2005 Express.
>
> Unfortunately, they do not allow it to be used outside of their .NET
> 2005 Express IDEs like Visual C# 2005 Express or Visual Basic.NET 2005
> Express.
>
> SQL Server 20005 Express has replaced MSDE.
>
> Microsoft has SQL Server 2005 Express Beta 1 for download.
>
> http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/sql/default.aspx
>
> Any ideas on how to get it to work externally?

I read about this in the New York times on Monday, I think.  I thought at
the time, "I bet it doesn't accept TDS connections".  Thanks for
confirming.

The thing to do, it seems to me, is to build on Steve Kirkendall's work on
src/server.  From a brief look at Microsoft's documentation, it seems
you'd need to create what's now called a "Windows Service Application".
Drop in the FreeTDS server, attach query/result handling to the SS2K5E
API, and you're done.  Just a small matter of programming....

Does that look like a reasonable approach?