[freetds] Re: Installing on MacOSX (Panther) woes....

Daniel Fazekas fdsubs at axelero.hu
Thu Jun 24 20:25:49 EDT 2004

On Jun 24, 2004, at 21:55, Craig Jurney wrote:

Now that I checked that I still could build 0.62.4 just fine, it's time
to establish what's the difference between our systems which makes
yours fail.

Your output:

> ranlib .libs/libreplacements.a
> *** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.
> *** Future versions of Libtool will require -mode=MODE be specified.
> ranlib: warning: cannot infer operation mode from
> `.libs/libreplacements.a'
> ranlib: you must specify a MODE
> Try `ranlib --help' for more information.
> make[2]: *** [libreplacements.la] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Mine:

> ranlib .libs/libreplacements.a
> ranlib: warning for library: .libs/libreplacements.a the table of
> contents is empty (no object file members in the library define global
> symbols)
> creating libreplacements.la
> (cd .libs && rm -f libreplacements.la && ln -s ../libreplacements.la
> libreplacements.la)
> Making all in tds
> Making all in unittests
[the build process continues normally]

Let's see what's going on with this ranlib of yours.

$ command -V ranlib
ranlib is hashed (/usr/bin/ranlib)

$ ls -l /usr/bin/ranlib
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7 27 May 03:07 /usr/bin/ranlib -> libtool

[A-ha! That explains why invoking ranlib might result in a "Future
versions of Libtool" error message on your system.]

This is Apple Computer's special libtool utility, not to be confused by
GNU's tool of the same name - which is also installed in another
directory...

$ ls -l /usr/bin/libtool
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  126448 27 May 03:19 /usr/bin/libtool

Check if there's anything different in the output of these commands on
your system.
Have you installed fink, opendarwin or anything of the kind by chance?
I haven't. It's possible they are hijacking ranlib and/or libtool...
Checking your PATH setting may provide some insight:
$ echo $PATH

I use Mac OS X 10.3.4 with Xcode 1.2 (downloaded from ADC). Xcode 1.2
is fairly recent; however, I remember building FreeTDS similarly
successfully before I installed it.

--
fds