[freetds] PHP+MSSQL compile on AIX 5.1

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Wed Jun 23 14:09:05 EDT 2004

Well, that's really a PHP question.  I don't use PHP, but I think when you configure it, you can say ./configure --with-mssql.  Try "./configure --help | grep mssql".

(For projects like FreeTDS and PHP, which use the GNU build system, each project has its own "configure" script that generates its makefiles.  The options you pass to configure determine what exactly those makefile do.  The --help option will list the options.)

> I admit I am so new that I have my pics in the dictionary
> agianst the word 'green'!

	:-)

> Should I compile PHP also with --tsql also?  So far since

No.  I hope the above made that clear.

> Now I do have the need to go to MSSQL & Oracle
> data bases via
> PHP, and I am thinking that I am in for a lot of pain!

That depends.  If learning is pain, yes.  For me, pain is learning something by trial and error that should be (or is) written down.  In this case, most of what you need to know is written down.  The challenge will be to master the informantion and the environment.

> DO I NEED the unix odbc?

Not for FreeTDS.  You mentioned Oracle, which AIUI does use ODBC.  If you wind up using ODBC, you can use FreeTDS's ODBC driver.  But the sybase and mssql extensions don't use ODBC.

HTH.