[freetds] Cursors in freetds

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Wed Jun 23 12:38:20 EDT 2004

Holy functionality, Batman!

> As this is one of the trumpeted features of ADO.NET 2.0 , I
> think we should
> be pretty chuffed about being able to do it too!

I don't know what "chuffed" is, but, OK, if you say so.  You know, if you guys keep making up slang, we're never going to learn it all.

> I know it sounds like a radical departure, but I would like to "walk
> through" the design of this with any interested parties
> before unleashing the patch on an unsuspecting world.

Sounds good.

> I'd also like to know how this fit in with the ODBC driver -
> will it enhance
> our implementation significantly to have cursors available ?

ODBC distiguishes between client-side and server-side cursors.  As both ODBC and ct-lib are generic database interface descriptions, it seems ODBC would want to use what you've added to ct-lib.

> I'll prepare an outline document on how I've changed things, and why.
> I'll forward it to interested parties, so if you consider
> yourself to be one of those, just let me know.

If it's a document about changes to the design, maybe just post it to the list?  If it's a description of the cursor-handling design that will live into the future, we could add it to the distribution ("cursors.txt").  In any case, we should put something in NEWS and/or README; this is a major new feature (along with ct-blk) for 0.63.

In any case, please consider me an interested party. ;-)

Regards,