[freetds] unixODBC/MS SQL/freetds problem

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Thu Jun 17 17:09:25 EDT 2004

If you get no TDSDUMP log output (and it's set for the invoking process, of course) then FreeTDS isn't getting started.  I'd guess it's your connect string; these things are notoriously hard to get right the first time.

> One side note:
> When I do an isql from the command line, I get the following text
> as part of the log output:
>
> 14:26:44.199938 tds_put_string converting 6 bytes of "SYBASE"
> 14:26:44.199972 tds_put_string wrote 12 bytes
> 14:26:44.200001 tds_put_string wrote 0 bytes
> 14:26:44.200029 tds_put_string converting 10 bytes of "us_english"
> Should I be concerned that "sybase" is still showing up there?
> even though it seems to work?

No.  There's a whole bunch of fields in the login record, a few are just informational strings passed to the server to identify the client.

You're connecting with isql, so your config files are fine.

> I greatly appreciate the time you spent to develop and support
> freetds, which I'm sure will be quite useful to me once I figure
> out how it works  :-)

You're almost home.  Thanks for the kind words.