[freetds] unixODBC/MS SQL/freetds problem

Lyons, Andrew Myers andrew.m.lyons at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Jun 17 16:08:39 EDT 2004

OK,

after some tinkering I am now able to access my database through
command-line isql and the ODBHC Data Manager.  Thank you so much!
I suppose my biggest problem was that I didn't understand how
freetds.conf and odbc.ini interacted with the ODBCConfig utility.
I suppose as far as the user guide goes, I personally could have
benefited greatly from more unixODBC-specific instructions.  If I
feel that I have sufficient understanding of freetds/unixODBC when
I'm done, I would be more than happy to make a tutorial.

I now have a problem when trying to connect using python with
mxODBC.  I don't get any log data when I try this method; here's
what happens:

>>> import mx.ODBC.unixODBC
>>> db =
mx.ODBC.unixODBC.DriverConnect('DSN=SIMONDEVEL;UID=[username];PWD=[
password]')

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
mxODBC.OperationalError: ('IM002', 0, '[unixODBC][Driver
Manager]Data source name not found, and no default driver
specified', 6044)

I realize this may not be a freeTDS problem, but if anyone could
provide assistance I would greatly appreciate it.

One side note:
When I do an isql from the command line, I get the following text
as part of the log output:

14:26:44.199938 tds_put_string converting 6 bytes of "SYBASE"
14:26:44.199972 tds_put_string wrote 12 bytes
14:26:44.200001 tds_put_string wrote 0 bytes
14:26:44.200029 tds_put_string converting 10 bytes of "us_english"
14:26:44.200080 tds_put_string wrote 20 bytes
14:26:44.200109 tds_put_string converting 9 bytes of "SIMONPHYS"
14:26:44.200143 tds_put_string wrote 18 bytes

Should I be concerned that "sybase" is still showing up there?
even though it seems to work?

I greatly appreciate the time you spent to develop and support
freetds, which I'm sure will be quite useful to me once I figure
out how it works  :-)

Best,

Andrew

--On Thursday, June 17, 2004 9:18 AM -0400 "Lowden, James K"