[freetds] Sybase 4.2 crash

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Thu Jun 17 11:35:54 EDT 2004

> From: ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT
> Sent: June 17, 2004 10:33 AM
>
> >From my point of view if server crash it's a server bug :)

Perhaps, if the TDS protocol were open and Sybase invited all comers.  But Sybase doesn't support other libraries.  If Sybase's own drivers don't triggger the crash, then it's a failure of FreeTDS to be compatible.  You can define it as a server bug, and I might agree.  It still has to be avoided if it can't be fixed.

> If we are able to reproduce the problem we can try to fix it.
> The problem it's that 4.2 is supported by both vendors.

Yes but only needed by Bronze Age servers.

> IMHO it would be
> better to emulate Microsoft drivers and try to detect better protocol
> version at startup caching results for forward references.

Quite so, and orthogonal.  :-)

If no one's using 4.2, and we're not determined to fix it so it's safe, then it's just a trap for new installations.