[freetds] unixODBC/MS SQL/freetds problem

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Thu Jun 17 09:18:09 EDT 2004

Welcome, Andrew.

"Server SYBASE not found" is our classic (albeit obscure) message indicating that FreeTDS failed to locate the server by the name you indicated.

Your odbc.ini uses "Server", the value of which is the DNS name (or ip address) of the machine hosting the database.  That's an ODBC-only setup, meaning the FreeTDS ODBC driver won't consult freetds.conf.  You must fully describe the server in odbc.ini.  You're missing port and TDS version.

Alternatively, use "Servername = SIMONDEVEL" instead.

You clearly studied the UG, and you're not the first person to get tripped up by this.  If you can suggest some way to make them  clearer, please do.

Regards,

--jkl