[freetds] dbbind, dbnullbind issues

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Tue Jun 15 10:13:16 EDT 2004

> From: freetds-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
> [mailto:freetds-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org]On Behalf Of
> Thompson, Bill D
>
> I've been wrestling with the features of dbbind and
> dbnullbind
> I could do several things:
>
> 1) code our dblibrary funstions so that they behave as
> specified in the manual pages.
> 2) attempt to reflect the actual (but inconsistent) behaviour
> of the Sybase implementation
> 3) code to a different, but clearer and arguably more sensible,
> specification.

Hi Bill,

Can you cite an example where someone following the letter of the documentation would build a non-working application when linking to one of the vendors' libraries?

In general, I'm sure you agree that adhering to the documents is best.  Bug-for-bug compatibility is useful in two cases:

1.  Following the docs doesn't actually work.
2.  Binary compatibility.

The first case is truly bad, and I don't know of any examples.  The second is a far-off goal; we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, IMO.

The other kind of not-of-the-docs behavior are things that work but aren't documented to work, things like using varlen of -1 that you found.  I think it's fine to support them when it's convenient, and deny them when not.  Anyone who complains can fix his code or change ours.

Is that any help?