[freetds] bcp text upload trace

Thompson, Bill D (London) bill_d_thompson at ml.com
Fri Jun 11 04:24:32 EDT 2004

Thanks for this James,

I've always been slightly uneasy about text columns, although I know they
have worked in the past.

> Our BCP implementation doesn't do TEXT columns.

Unlike you to be so imprecise :-)
If it were anyone else, I'd ask the following questions:

which version of freetds ?
which version of which database ?
freebcp or the dblibrary "sendrow" API ?
all text columns, or just very large ones ?

My version of freebcp works just fine.....

1> create table bill_bcp_text_test (col1 int not null, col2 text )
2>
1>

$ cat bill_bcp_text_test.txt
1       ABCDEFGHIJKL<
2       asdasdasdasda
3

$ freebcp MYDB..bill_bcp_text_test in bill_bcp_text_test.txt -c -S MYSERVER
-U MYUSER -P MYPASSWORD

Starting copy...

3 rows copied.

1> select * from bill_bcp_text_test
col1                col2
-------------------   -----------------------------------------------
                 1   ABCDEFGHIJKL<
                 2   asdasdasdasda
                 3
(3 rows affected)
1>

My (production) version of freetds is, however, a "pre-iconv" snapshot of
0.62
So, I guess you're using something a little more up to date, and its gotten
broken.somewhere down the line...

I'll test my new code, and check out text columns specifically..

Bill

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify
the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose,
copy, retain or redistribute it.

Click here for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.
     <http://www.ml.com/email_terms/>