[freetds] bcp text upload trace

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Thu Jun 10 16:56:51 EDT 2004

Our BCP implementation doesn't do TEXT columns.  Neither does it complain; it just hangs because the server doesn't respond.

For your enjoyment, attached is tcpdump output of an upload to a table having a single column, of type TEXT.  The tools used were:

$ bcp -v
BCP - Bulk Copy Program for Microsoft SQL Server.
Copyright (c) 1991-1998, Microsoft Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Version: 7.00.623

$ isql -E -Smpquant -Q"select @@version"
        --------------------------------
 Microsoft SQL Server  2000 - 8.00.818 (Intel X86)
        May 31 2003 16:08:15
        Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation
        Enterprise Edition on Windows
         NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 3)

and

$ windump -w textbcp.tcpdump -xX -s1500 tcp and host mpquant and port 2500 and host ntc0272

I thought perhaps we could at least decode what's going on.  That would make it easier to add the functionality.

Thank you for your kind attention.

--jkl

 <<textbcp.tcpdump.upload.text>>