[freetds] dblib bcp & freebcp

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Wed Jun 2 12:52:22 EDT 2004

> From: freetds-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org

Cool!

Loading some files recently, we noticed that Microsoft's and Sybase's bcp libraries both trim trailing blanks from char & varchar character data.   You can stuff 16 characters into a char(8) if the last 8 characters are consistently blanks.

I had fixed bcp.c to handle the varchar case some time back; I added char last week.

> the -E flag (as supported by Microsoft's version) which allows you to
> control the behaviour with respect to identity columns.
> the handling of timestamp columns, as documented in
> Microsoft's version

These will both be welcome, especially timestamp.

> the "queryout" method, as supported by Microsoft's version,
> which allows you
> to specify a query (or I guess the exec of a stored
> procedure) as the source
> of a "bcp out" operation

Very nice.  (Yes, "exec <proc>" should work.)

> the specification of "stdout" or "stdin" as the output/input
> file (that's an enhancement on both Sybase & MS's version)

Yay!  How did you work around the fseek() in "measuring" delimited character files?

> before I submit my patch, is there anything else anyone is
> desperate for ?

bcp_moretext()?  ;-)  Of course, it's the only missing bcp function.  I don't know what the protocol implications are; I don't know if this out-of-order data handling is only a db-lib feature, or if the server can somehow accept text data after the rest of the row data.

Looking forward to you patch, Bill.  Thanks for working on this.