[freetds] Undefined symbols building sqsh with freetds (Solaris 8)

James K. Lowden jklowden at schemamania.org
Thu May 27 21:10:27 EDT 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:43:26 +0000, Tom Millar
<Tom.Millar at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hope someone here can help me?
> - I've built FreeTDS on Solaris 8 and verified thru tsql ... all works
> OK.
> - I've built SQSH on same box with Sybase Open Client 12.5 and verified
> ... again all seems OK.
> - Then I tried to build SQSH (same host) using FreeTDS ... link fails
> with some udefined symbols:

> setsockopt
> /dba/opt/freetds/0.62.3/lib/libct.a(login.o)
> connect
> /dba/opt/freetds/0.62.3/lib/libct.a(login.o)
> getservbyname_r
> /dba/opt/freetds/0.62.3/lib/libct.a(threadsafe.o)
> socket
> /dba/opt/freetds/0.62.3/lib/libct.a(login.o)

Hmm.  Clearly you need to link in:

	setsockopt
	connect
	getservbyname_r
	socket

In NetBSD, those are in libc.  Are they in a different library in Solaris
8?

I think this may be a sqsh link question, insofar as these functions
aren't provided by FreeTDS.  I know, we're a drop in replacement for OC,
but that just make things a little mysterious....

Are you building with gcc and GNU ld, or some other pair?